Section 811 Demonstration Project
updated October 15, 2018

The Section 811 Demonstration Project helps people with disabilities who have extremely low income and their families afford housing.

Section 811 helps pay for part of your rent in specific privately owned apartment buildings. You do not get to choose the exact place where you will live. If you qualify and get a place to live in a Section 811 Demonstration Project unit, you will pay 30% of your income on your rent.

Who It Helps

The Section 811 Demonstration Project is for low-income adults with disabilities and their families. To qualify, a family must include at least one adult with a disability who is 18 – 61 years old at the time of admission and who also qualifies for community-based, long-term services from Medical Assistance (MA) or other state programs. Disabilities can include physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, or mental illness.

The income limit depends on the number of people in your household and where you live. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) lists income limits. Households with income that is below 30% of median income or lower may qualify.

The Section 811 Demonstration Project gives priority to helping people who are participants in the Project for Assistance in Transitioning from Homelessness (PATH), which helps long-term homeless with mental illness or substance abuse problems who haven’t had a permanent place to live for a year or more or at least four times in the past three years, or

Housing Settings Where the Section 811 Demonstration Project May Help

Most Section 811 Demonstration Project units are one-bedroom apartments located in apartment buildings, townhomes, and other homes that have many market-rate units for the general public. This means that an apartment building with 50 units might have four one-bedroom apartments set aside for Section 811 Demonstration Project tenants. Only people who qualify for the Section 811 Demonstration Project can live in these units.

If you move into a Section 811 Demonstration Project unit, you will have a transition coordinator who will help you arrange any services you need, which may include mental health services, MA-Waiver services, personal care assistance, and employment services, depending on your situation.


Most people will be referred to this program by their PATH case manager.

You will have to fill out an application form with information about your family, disability, income, and current housing situation. You may be placed on a waiting list before you can get a unit.

Get Help

To learn more about the Section 811 Demonstration Project, contact: