Housing Support and Housing Stabilization Services
updated April 4, 2024

Housing Support (formerly known as Group Residential Housing or GRH) and Housing Stabilization Services are two Minnesota programs that offer services to help people with disabilities and people 65 or older find and keep stable housing. You may qualify for one of these programs, or both could help you.


This table compares the two programs and shows what’s similar and what’s different.

Comparing Housing Support and Housing Stabilization Services

Housing Support

Housing Stabilization Services

Helps pay for housing?

Yes. Can pay rent, utilities, and for basic household items like furniture, cleaning supplies, and toilet paper.

No. Does not pay for rent.

Helps pay for services?

Sometimes. May pay for transportation, medical and social services, medication reminders, supervision, and case management services.

Yes. Pays for staff that helps a person plan for, find, move into housing, or keep their housing.

How it is paid:

The state of Minnesota pays providers on the beneficiary’s behalf.

Providers bill Medical Assistance (MA).

Income and asset requirement:

Low income and low assets.

Must be getting MA (meet any income and asset rules for MA).

Disability/age requirement:

Must have a disability or be 65 or older.

Must have a disability and be 18 or older.

The disability must make you need help with at least one of:

  • Communication
  • Mobility
  • Decision-making; or
  • Managing challenging behaviors

Housing requirement:

Must be working with an approved Housing Support provider. The provider may help you live in a group setting, such as Adult Foster Care, Assisted Living Facilities, and Board and Lodge, or in Supportive Housing (which can be an independent apartment).

Must have housing instability, which can mean:

  • Homeless or at risk of homelessness.
  • Currently transitioning, or recently transitioned, from an institution or licensed or registered setting; or
  • At risk of institutionalization and meeting an institutional level of care for an MA-Waiver program (BI, CADI, CAC, DD, or EW).

How to apply:

Work with your Housing Support provider or contact your county or tribal human services office.

Use HB101’s Getting Started with Housing Stabilization Services Try-It Tool to see how to connect with this program.

Both Programs at the Same Time

Some people qualify for both programs at the same time. If you qualify for both:

  • Some providers offer both services, so you could have the same staff for both.
  • You could also have separate staff for each program.
  • You can change providers, but you might not find one who does both programs in your area and is available.

Note: In some cases, Housing Support services payments might be lower if you also have Housing Stabilization Services. Talk to your providers about this.

More Information

Learn more about Housing Support:

Learn more about Housing Stabilization Services:

Find Local Services