Adult Foster Care
updated April 4, 2024

Adult Foster Care (AFC) is a type of housing for people with disabilities and seniors who need some daily care, but do not need skilled nursing care. Adult Foster Care is sometimes called Community Residential Settings (CRS).

Note: Adult Foster Care is different than children living in foster care. It is housing for adults with disabilities and seniors.

What It Is

When you live in AFC, it’s like living in a house. One to five adults with disabilities and seniors live together in the house, each with their own bedroom. The living room, bathrooms, kitchen, and any other rooms are shared. A caregiver also lives in the house, which may be located anywhere, such as a town, a suburban neighborhood, or any other area.

When you live in AFC, you choose what services you want. You can ask your caregiver for help with things like:

  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Help during outings, and
  • Personal care assistance (PCA) services, such as help with bathing, dressing, and toileting.

Note: The caregiver does not do skilled nursing. If you need skilled nursing and wish to live in Adult Foster Care, you may contract skilled nursing separately.

Some caregivers own and live in the homes they provide care in, while others are employees paid to live on site. When the caregiver owns the home, it is called Family Adult Foster Care. When the caregivers are employees, it is called Corporate Adult Foster Care.

All Adult Foster Care locations are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS).

Some people who live in Adult Foster Care may be able to live in the community by getting similar services in their own homes or apartments.

How You Pay

You pay a monthly amount that includes your room, board, and services. Many people pay for AFC with money they have in savings or income.

If you cannot afford AFC, there are some public programs that may help, including:

  • Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing): Housing Support is available to people with low income and low assets who have disabilities. Housing Support will only pay for Adult Foster Care settings that are approved for Housing Support. Housing Support may pay up to the full cost of room, board, and services, depending on your income and eligibility for MA-Waiver programs.
  • MA-Waiver programs: If you are eligible for Medical Assistance (MA) due to your disability, you may qualify for an MA-Waiver program that helps pay for services in the community, which may include AFC locations.

Get Help

To learn more about whether Adult Foster Care is right for you and if any programs can help you afford it:

Compare Adult Foster Care locations

Before you choose an Adult Foster Care home:

Find an Adult Foster Care Location