updated June 27, 2024

If you get help from the Housing Support program (formerly called Group Residential Housing or GRH), you might have more money and more housing options if you switched to Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) Housing Assistance.

This article explains why you might want to make this change, how to do it, and who can help you if you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).


Reasons to Change from Housing Support to MSA Housing Assistance

Housing Support is a program for people with disabilities and older adults who have low income. It helps pay for housing and things people need to keep living in certain group settings or in the community. But when you get Housing Support, you don’t have a lot of money for your own expenses and you have to live in a place approved by the Housing Support program.

If you get SSI or SSDI and you want to have more money and live more independently in a place you choose, Housing Support can help you get started on making a plan. Your plan might include:

  • Applying for MSA Housing Assistance. MSA Housing Assistance helps people with disabilities pay for their housing, but it also helps pay for rent in any home or apartment in the community, not just in a setting that is approved for Housing Support. It helps by giving anybody who qualifies for MSA, spends more than 40% of income on rent, and meets other eligibility requirements an extra $472 per month to help with rent. Note: You cannot get Housing Support benefits and MSA Housing Assistance at the same time.
  • Looking for a job. Working is the fastest way to increase your income, meaning you’ll have more money if you work. Both Housing Support and MSA Housing Assistance have rules that mean that when you work, you end up better off.
Things to consider before you switch

Housing Support benefits pay for basic housing costs and connect you with a provider who helps you make sure your bills are paid and that you have food and supplies to keep your home safe and clean. Your provider can help you if you have problems with neighbors or your landlord. If you switch from Housing Support to MSA Housing Assistance, your Housing Support provider will stop helping you. For some people, Housing Support also pays for extra case management services from their provider. If you stop getting Housing Support benefits, those supplemental services also end.

There may be other services and supports that can help replace some of the services that you get through Housing Support, such as the Housing Stabilization Services program. Read the rest of this article to get ideas about who can help you and what programs might support you if you switch from Housing Support to MSA Housing Assistance.

If you think you want to make this switch, read about how to go from Housing Support to MSA Housing Assistance.