Moving Home Minnesota
updated April 4, 2024

Moving Home Minnesota helps people on Medical Assistance (MA) move out of institutions. It helps pay for services that your MA or MA-Waiver benefits will not pay for, provides counseling, and makes sure that your transition to living in the community goes smoothly.

Moving Home Minnesota is sometimes called “Money Follows the Person,” which is the federal name for this program.

What It Is

Moving Home Minnesota provides many different types of services for people who are transitioning out of an institution, including:

  • Transition planning
  • Help with moving expenses
  • Community support services
  • Transportation
  • Exercise classes
  • Employment services (help finding and keeping work)
  • Help making homes and apartments more accessible
  • Durable medical equipment, and
  • Help with many other services and expenses.

You will continue to get services from Moving Home Minnesota for up to a year after you move out of an institution and into the community. If you also get services paid for by MA and MA-Waiver programs, Moving Home Minnesota will only pay for services that MA and MA-Waiver programs will not pay for.

Who Can Get It

Moving Home Minnesota’s goal is to help people move out of institutions. To qualify, you must be on MA and have lived in an institution for at least 60 days when you apply.

Institutions can include facilities such as:

Other facilities with different names may also qualify as institutions.

Request a MnCHOICES assessment

If you want to see what services can help you live in the community instead of in an institution, contact your local county or tribal human services office and request a MnCHOICES assessment.

Anybody who thinks they might need long-term services can request a MnCHOICES assessment, even if they:

  • Don’t qualify for MA or any other benefits currently, and
  • Have good income and lots of money in the bank.

Within 20 days, the county must send a MnCHOICES assessor over to help review your situation to see which long-term care programs or services can help you.

During this review, the assessor consultant will help you compare the options of living in an institution or living in the community with the help of MA-Waiver programs, Medical Assistance (MA), personal care assistance (PCA) services, or Moving Home Minnesota.

If you might be eligible for any of these programs, the consultant will help you get started with the application. Even if you are not eligible for public benefits, the assessment can help you understand what services, accommodations, and resources exist.

Housing Settings Where Moving Home Minnesota Helps

Moving Home Minnesota’s goal is for you to move out of an institution. Once you begin to get benefits from the program, you will move into the general community.

These are some of the different types of places in the community where you can live:


The best way to apply for Moving Home Minnesota is for you to speak with your county case manager or mental health case manager. View a DHS brochure that introduces the application process.

The Senior LinkAge Line® (1-800-333-2433), Disability Hub MN (1-866-333-2466), your county or tribal human services office, or your MCO care coordinator can also give you info on how to enroll in Moving Home Minnesota.

Another way to apply is by using the online Moving Home Minnesota Intake Form (DHS-5032) (PDF). You can also send in this form by fax to 1-651-431-7745 or by mail to:

Moving Home Minnesota
P.O. Box 64250
St. Paul, MN 55164-0250

Get Help

To learn more about Moving Home Minnesota, call 1-651-431-3951 or email