Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing)
updated April 14, 2021

The Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing) program pays up to $934 per month for room and board in approved locations for people with low income and low assets who have disabilities or other conditions. People who either get General Assistance (GA) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) automatically meet the income and asset limits. Disability Benefits 101 has detailed information about qualifying for Housing Support.

Housing Support may also help pay for additional services if you are not eligible for personal care assistance (PCA) services through Medical Assistance (MA) or MA-Waiver programs.

Housing Settings Where Housing Support May Help

To get Housing Support benefits, you must live in certain housing settings that have been approved for Housing Support. These are the most common settings where people may get Housing Support:

  • Adult Foster Care (AFC). Housing where one to five people with disabilities and seniors each live in their own bedrooms and get some services from an on-site caregiver.
  • Board and Lodge. Housing where five or more people live in their own or shared bedrooms.
  • Supervised living facilities. Housing where five or more people with developmental disabilities live in their own or shared bedrooms and get some services from on-site caregivers.
  • Boarding Care Homes. Housing similar to nursing homes, but in a smaller setting with fewer residents.They offer a full set of services, including skilled nursing, cooking, cleaning, laundry, and personal care assistance.
  • Housing with Services establishments. Independent apartment units or shared housing where residents have their own rental leases and may get supportive services, like laundry and transportation, or health-related services, like skilled nursing.

There are many different names for the types of housing locations that may be allowed for Housing Support. If you are not sure whether Housing Support might help you pay for your room and board, ask the administrator of the place you live.

Note: Many people prefer to live in their own homes and apartments, instead of living in the types of housing that are approved for Housing Support. If you live in your own place, you can arrange to get services there. Various benefits, including the Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) Housing Assistance and Section 8, may help you if you live in your own home or apartment.


You can apply for Housing Support online using ApplyMN. You can also fill out the Combined Application Form and turn it in to your county or tribal human services office.

When you fill out your application, note that you are requesting Housing Support and put down the name, address, and telephone number of the location where you plan to live. If you do not mention you are applying for Housing Support, the county may not check if you are eligible. Both ApplyMN and the Combined Application Form have locations where you can add this type of information.

After you submit your application, you should be contacted shortly by the county to set up an interview if they think you might qualify for Housing Support.

Get Help

To learn more about Housing Support: