More Project-Based Housing for Seniors and People with Disabilities
updated April 3, 2024

If you are a senior or a person with a disability and you have low income, you might qualify to live in certain housing developments funded by programs called Section 202 and Section 811.

  • Section 202 housing is for seniors and some people with disabilities.
  • Section 811 housing is only for people with disabilities.

How They Help

In Section 202 and Section 811 housing, you only pay 30% of your income as rent. For example, if your monthly income is $500, you pay $150 (30% of $500) per month as rent.

Some Section 202 buildings have on-site care and support services, such as help with meals, housekeeping, and transportation. The services that are available depend on the building, so it’s important to ask when you apply.

Who Qualifies

To live in Section 202 or Section 811 housing, you need to prove that your income is under certain limits, based on the median income of the area. The best way to learn about the exact limits in your area is to ask a local public housing authority (PHA). The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also lists income limits (look at the levels for “very low income” in your county).

In addition:

  • To live in a Section 202 project, you usually must be age 62 or older. In some cases, you may be under age 62 if you have a disability.
  • To live in a Section 811 project, you must have a disability that meets certain standards. Usually, if you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), your disability will qualify. A doctor’s statement may also be enough, but the exact rules depend on the specific Section 811 housing development.

Finding a Place

To find housing options for seniors and people with disabilities, you can check:

  • The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) low-rent apartment search engine, and
  • Minnesota’s HousingLink search engine. When searching with HousingLink, go to the “Subsidized Housing” section and check the "Subsidized Housing (% of income, Project Based Section 8, Public Housing, Section 811/PRAD)" option. You can also check the "Seniors" and "Disabled" checkboxes if they apply to your family.