Assisted Living at Housing with Services Establishments
updated November 17, 2020

Many seniors and people with disabilities live in housing that is described as including “assisted living” or being an “assisted living facility.” Any place that says it offers assisted living must be registered by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) as a Housing with Services establishment.

Housing with Services establishments

Housing with Services establishments include many types of housing for seniors and people with disabilities. Housing with Services establishments can be individual apartments where you get services or can be more like group homes, such as Board and Lodge or Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing). You won’t usually see places with the words “Housing with Services” in their names; that’s just the name of the state registration.

Each Housing with Services establishment offers a different set of services. Some offer minimal services, such as one meal per day or weekly housekeeping, while others may have 24-hour assistance on-site to help with things like dressing, bathing, and toileting. All Housing with Services establishments have to have a full description of the services they offer and detailed information about how much their rent and services cost. You can ask any establishment for this information.

What It Is

While all Housing with Services establishments include some services, Housing with Services establishments that are described as having assisted living must have a staff person awake and available at all times to help residents.

These establishments may offer services that help with your daily living, such as:

  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Help taking medications, and
  • Personal care assistance services, like help during meals, toileting, bathing, and dressing.
Similar services in your home

You can get services in your own home that are similar to the assisted living services at Housing with Services establishments. For example, you can get help with cooking, cleaning, bathing, and more. One way to learn what services or programs might help you with your needs is to contact your local county or tribal human services office and request a MnCHOICES assessment.

You can request a MnCHOICES assessment, even if you think you don’t qualify for public benefits. Within 20 days, the county must send an assesor to help review your situation and see which long-term care programs or services might help you. If you might qualify for public benefits, the county will help you fill out the application forms.

How You Pay

You pay a monthly amount that includes your room, board, and services. Many people pay with money they have in savings or income. If you qualify for Medical Assistance (MA), you may be able to get help paying for services through the Elderly Waiver (EW) program, Brain Injury (BI) waiver program, or Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) waiver program.

You may qualify for Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing) benefits that help pay for your room, board, and sometimes services in Housing-Support-approved locations, including some Housing with Services establishments.

Get Help

To learn more about assisted living at Housing with Services establishments:

To find a Housing with Services establishment that offers assisted living, see Minnesota’s Senior Housing Directory and the Twin Cities Senior Housing Guide. You need the Adobe Flash Player to view these guides, so they won’t work on most mobile devices (most laptop and desktop computers already have it installed).