updated April 4, 2024

People with disabilities and seniors may need different services ranging from help with day-to-day living activities, like cooking and cleaning, to needing skilled nursing services to be available at all times.

Sometimes, your housing setting includes these services. However, you can often get these services regardless of whether you live in your own home or in some type of group housing or facility.

Here are some examples of the services you can get:

  • Help with bathing
  • Home-delivered meals
  • Help taking medication
  • Transportation
  • 24-hour skilled nursing care
Get the services you need without living in a facility

Many people with disabilities and seniors can get the services they need without living in a facility or institution. In fact, some of the programs that help pay for services, like MA Waiver programs, MA Housing Stabilization Services, and Moving Home Minnesota, are meant to help people move out of facilities so they can “live in the community.”

Comparing Your Options

My Vault


Planning Path

My Day, My Life

Planning Path: My Day, My Life

A Vault path with a series of short activities to help you describe things you do, and how you might use help when you do them.

Watch tutorial


Go To Path

The articles in this section compare different programs that help with services, looking at:

  • Which services these programs may help you pay for
    • Example: The personal care assistance (PCA) program may help you with bathing, dressing, and taking medications, but does not include skilled nursing.
  • Who can get help from these programs
    • Example: The Elderly Waiver (EW) program is for people ages 65 or older who qualify for Medical Assistance and need services so that they don’t have to live in a facility or institution.
  • Whether you need to live in certain housing settings to get help from these programs or whether you can choose your setting
    • Example: If you qualify for Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing) benefits, they will only help pay for services if you live in a Housing-Support-approved location.
    • Example: The Elderly Waiver might pay for assisted living or let you get similar services in your own home.
  • How to apply for these programs
  • Who can help you
    • Example: Chat with a Hub expert for answers to many of your questions or to discover the right places to get answers to them.

Get Help