HB101's Programs section introduces many programs that can help you pay for your rent or pay for services.

Finding Work

Minnesota CareerForce locations can help you find a job and plan for your career. To find a Center near you, call 1-651-259-7501.

If you have a disability, Vocational Rehabilitation Services can help you apply, prepare for, and find a job.

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program can help you with free employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation.

Making Your Home More Accessible

If you qualify for an MA-Waiver program, it may help you pay for environmental accessibility adaptations to your apartment, house, or vehicle.

The Minnesota STAR Program can help you get funding to buy assistive technology or can even loan it to you for free.

Minnesota Housing’s Accessibility Loan Program provides low interest loans for homeowners with low income who want to make accessibility and other improvements to their homes.

Minnesota Housing’s Fix Up Program provides low-interest loans for homeowners with low to middle income who want to make accessibility improvements to their homes.

In the Twin Cities, the Safe at Home Program helps with free accessibility improvements for low-income homeowners who are seniors or have disabilities.

In the Twin Cities, the Home Repair Program also helps with free home repairs for low-income homeowners who are seniors or have disabilities.

If you are a veteran with a service-connected disability, you may be able to get a grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to make accessibility improvements to your home.

Renter Education

Live Well at Home is an excellent resource that can help you think about issues related to living alone.

The University of Minnesota offers a free Renter 101 online course to help you learn how to manage your money well, talk effectively with your landlord, understand lease agreements, and be aware of other important issues for tenants.

Home Line Minnesota is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping renters. You can call their trilingual (English/Spanish/Somali) hotline at 1-866-866-3546 or 1-612-728-5767.

The state’s Office of Ombudsman for Long-Term Care can help you resolve problems you have in a licensed or regulated housing setting. To contact it, call 1-800-657-3591.

The Minnesota Association of Community Mediation Programs can help you find a local organization that can help mediate problems between yourself and your neighbors.

Get Help

If you are about to lose your apartment:

These can help you for a month or two, until you can start getting help from other longer-term rental assistance programs.